Stand Up Or You’ll Die Early
There has been mounting research amongst many different world wide health institutions lately that concludes something pertinent to your health and well being…
SITTING FOR TOO LONG DRASTICALLY SHORTENS YOUR LIFESPAN.
In fact, recent studies indicate that it can actually be just as dangerous as cigarettes!
Sitting for 8 – 10 hours a day has been shown to slow metabolism, negatively alter hormones, raise your cholesterol, weaken muscles, and over time heighten the risk of diabetes, cancer, low back pain and cardiovascular disease.
Furthermore, the study suggests that these affects cannot be reversed by exercise!
I suppose that some of this shouldn’t be terribly shocking and I am overwhelmed a sense of irony as I have been sitting at my computer for 2 hours, however, I knew that I needed to share this anyway.
(I’m now standing up and typing to mitigate my feelings of hypocrisy)
With close to 40% of the American population working office jobs there is a good chance that this is you.
So… what does the research suggest you do?
- Try to avoid sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time.
- Take phone calls standing up or pacing to and fro.
- Holding standing meetings.
- Manipulate your workspace so that you can stand while working at your computer.
- Walking over to the desk of a fellow employee instead of writing an email.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
These small things can make a big difference!
Committed To Your Success,
Eric Richard Allen